Skip to main content

You are not black; this doesn’t concern you!


“You are not black; this doesn’t concern you!” I have heard/ read that sentence so many times this past week, it almost seems meaningless. It wasn’t always meaningless. The first time I read that on one of those sketchy handles on twitter, I had to make some serious efforts to reach deep inside my brain and make sense of it. Thewere simple words, simple grammaticalstructure; simple enough for an immigrant with English as her third language to comprehend otherwise but somehow, I didn’t understand. I didn’t understand if the person was being factual, assumptive, cruel, condescending or just flat out ignorant. I still don’t know the answer to that but what I know is, after having several episodes of knots in my throat trying to hold back my tears and then several episodes of letting it go and wailing, I AM A “PERSON” BEFORE A PERSON OF COLOR, PERSON OF GENDER, PERSON OF SEXUAL ORIENTATION, MARITAL STATUS, SOCIAL STATURE and whatever else tags along.This is one of the few times in my life that I am proud of the people that got out on the streets to fights as “people” and fight for a cause that honors the sanctity of humanity and what it means to be a “person”; not a black person, not a black person with a record. 
I am in no way trying to make this a sob story about how tore up I am about where the world is going but it is going to come across as such and I am okay with that. I have read millions of stories on social media websites that just goes to saying how long the hatred has been spewing in the jar of justice and how deep we are drenched in it. I have cried, I have felt empowered, I have felt bad, I have felt rage, appreciation, hopelessness and everything in between in a loop. I have also read awful things that people have said about the life of a person that no longer exists who otherwise would have been all well and alive had he not been born a man of color. I have appreciated the people that are aware enough to demand justice for this sin and I have also been told that social media activism is my way of gaining a quick fame. I am not famous, I don’t have millions that follow me, I am not an “influencer”, but I have deemed it my duty to do my part and create awareness as to why despite not being black, it is my business. I am not talking smack and expressing my disgust towards this because of a black friend who is a new mother of a black son or a black boyfriend i had in the past. I am telling the few thousand social media friends I have, how livid I am because I am a human and I couldn’t imagine being a person whose life gets taken away while I plead for life and mercy with my only fault being the amount of melanin on my skin.
There is a wave asking for change and if doing what I think could may be create a pinch in someone’s heart, one person’s heart makes me unworthy of your acquaintance then by all means, please distant yourself. I will not ask you to stay, I will in fact thank you because if you are okay with whatever happened to that man and whatever has been happening then I am certainly not okay with you. 
No mother should have to worry if their child is going to come home that night from ball practice because of his color, no father should have to teach their children what to do when a cop approaches them at the age of 10 because they are black. I couldn’t even fathom being the parent whose 7 year od daughter cries and asks why the cop would treat her differently even though she has not done anything wrong. I couldn’t imagine being the mother whose son went to the store and never came back home because he got knelt on in front of bystanders. This must stop. This is not going to stop unless people become aware of that fact that if it happened to George, it could happen to anybody. If his passing didn’t make you feel some type of way, just go back and ask yourself if you are even human. Make a choice because if you don’t choose a side now, and choose to remain silent, you have chosen a side and we hear loud and clear what you are trying to say. Speak your mind, speak for those fallen, speak to give the ones existing a fair chance at survival, SPEAK TO SAY YOU ARE A PERSON AND THIS DOES IN FACT CONCERN YOU! Correct the ones that think this is okay and if you cannot change them, you tried, you did your part, move on, educate someone else. Be the change that is long overdue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So she says !

“It’ll be okay”. She said with a stern voice while a piece of her was shrinking and dying. She had been crying! You could never tell. Thanks to her new found talent in make up. She had been reading quotes that said you can miss someone and not want them in your life ever again. Honestly, she was searching for a way to not think she is crazy.  Wars are terrible things. They destroy homes and lives and self esteem and hopes and what not but you know what’s worse? The war with yourself. The semicolon tattoos are popular for a reason! The push on the gas after you have hit the brakes at a red light on an uphill always requires an extra oomph unless you drive something other than a prehistoric Honda like myself. But the key is to push hard, to fight through the tears, to smile through the pain because there are other people that count on it.  She may be fragile and malleable, but when you carve it the right way, she will make monalisa look like a tramp. Every person has a story. Be ge

To my dear Hajurba!

I was a crazy kid! Well “was” is my attempt of making you feel like I may or may not still be that way. I couldn’t sit still or quiet for that fact. I had questions! So many ever loving ones and then I had my best friend, my grandfather who just really needed a break. He would bribe me with 5 bucks in exchange of 5 minutes of peace. I’m from a business family. Hustle comes naturally. I have lost count of how many 5 bucks did I stash before I was 5 years old.  Everyone that is close to me knows what he meant to me. He was everything. The guy that I loved the most, trusted the most and respected the most. I remember the way he smelled when he held me in his lap inside his blue blanket to keep me warm in winter months. I remember our secret shopping trips, how he knew what I wanted before the words came out. He was the Heinz ketchup to my Walmart frozen fries. He made it all better!  When he was gone is when I truly felt the need to grow up because he wasn’t gonna be there to catch m